Friday, 23 July 2010

Starting the Journey - AJATT

So I've started to seriously learn Japanese. Graduating from the level of anime nerd (otaku) to an actual language student. Sort of.

I'm rather allergic to conventional learning methods. I work much better at my own pace, learning for myself. Learning for the joy of new knowledge, rather than a high test score. So I've dismissed the idea of a language class, and conventional methods of language learning.

I'd like to introduce you to the AJATT method: All Japanese All The Time*. It throws it all out of the window and takes a very simple look at learning languages. How does one learn their native language, what is it about it that makes it their native language? Quite simply they have been almost completely exposed to it for years and much of their formative years have been focused on learning it. So the very simple idea of the method, is to surround yourself with material from your studied language. Where possible you expose yourself as much as possible to it.

You don't watch the new episode of Lost, you watch a subbed show in your chosen language (or if you're a bit further on, attempt it without the subtitles!). Even while you're busy doing other things, you can have your MP3 player with music or audio books in your chosen language. You don't read books and newspapers in your native language, read them in the one you're learning. You get the idea.

It's a very interesting approach and I'm quite excited to attempt it. Even though I'm quite a novice at this point and I can't completely surround myself with Japanese materials (my computer coursebooks are in English!), I'm still very optimistic.

In the next few posts I will be covering some of the tools I have been testing with regards to this method and giving my opinion on them. Hopefully I can help you sort through the chaff when trying to find good resources for your own studies.

がんばって!(Ganbatte - Good luck)


*This site has a number of motivational blogs and helpful resources (not just for Japanese), do check it out in your own time!

No comments:

Post a Comment